Most people don’t realize that physiotherapy not only helps your muscles recover from strain or injury, it is also effective in maintaining strong cardiovascular health! When cardiovascular disease is the number one killer for both men and women, it is important to learn everything you can about prevention and treatment.
What kinds of conditions are considered cardiovascular disorders?
The most common cardiovascular diseases include coronary artery disease, arrhythmia, cardiomyopathy, myocardial infarction, hypertension, and heart failure. Some of those conditions, like hypertension, often accompany other health problems, such as obesity and impaired fasting glucose. That means that it isn’t enough to just focus on one area if you want to have the best heart health. Heart health is tremendously important, and at Raynen Therapies, we want to help you live the healthiest life you can.
What causes cardiovascular disease?
The underlying risk factors of cardiovascular disease include:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Tobacco use
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Family history/hereditary
Though you can’t control your family’s history of heart disease, you can improve your heart health with our Scarborough, ON physiotherapy services.
What are some early symptoms of cardiovascular disease?
Sometimes the changes in how you feel seem to sneak up on you, so you don’t notice that you are developing health problems until you are seriously ill. Knowing the early symptoms of cardiovascular disease can help you address them before they permanently cause your heart harm. Here are a few early signs of cardiovascular disease:
- Feeling more tired than normal.
- Uncomfortable walking up the stairs or running normal errands.
- Unexplained aches and pains in your chest, abdomen, shoulders, back, or even your jaw.
- Shortness of breath when you don’t feel like you have exerted yourself very much.
- Swollen feet or ankles could be a sign of impending heart problems, kidney failure, liver failure, or eating too much salt. If you notice this symptom, make sure a doctor diagnoses you.
- Heart palpitations where your heartbeat feels like it’s beating fast, fluttering, or even pounding.
- Nausea, lightheadedness, or cold sweats.
How can physiotherapy help?
Physiotherapy offers many benefits to many people who are experiencing cardiovascular problems. A physiotherapist can safely monitor aerobic activities like running, walking, and swimming, along with strength training exercises. Studies show that physiotherapy can help at all stages of recovery, and some of the benefits include shorter hospital stays, quicker recoveries, and a greater likelihood of avoiding the same problems in the future. Our Scarborough, ON physiotherapist can give you a program for not just recovery, but for your life. Request an appointment at Raynen Therapies if you ready to take control of your heart health.